Thursday, March 8, 2012

Redefining protest


The G-8 moves and the protesters plan to stick around for NATO. But the city of Chicago requires that they get a new protest permit, because, apparently, protest permits only allow you to protest one specific event or set of issues at a time.

Protest permit? What a great idea. Tell the pigs where you will be and what your beef is up front so they can know who and how many to expect and how much pepper spray they need to bring along.

How convenient is that?

So, what if I can't get my protest approved?  "I'm sorry, we've already had our quota of animal-rights protests this month, try again next Thursday,"  

What if I want to protest something that is, oh, I don't know, something really unpopular? Or something that city officials think might be too volatile? 

And what if I want to protest the requirement to get a fucking protest permit?


I might be out on a limb here, but it seems to me that when you have to get permission to complain, the game's already over and you lost.



No comments:

Post a Comment